Yes, it’s true! You can now get 100 Free Force.com user licenses added to your existing Salesforce account.
Here’s mine as proof:
You can obtain these licenses via Force.com Checkout (at the bottom of your setup menu). See details of how to add 100 Free Force.com licenses to your account .
If you study the Force.com edition chart, you’ll notice that the ‘Free’ edition:
- Excludes access to Standard Objects (eg Contact, Account, Opportunity)
- Has rules limiting access to objects (soft limitations, enforced in the license but not in the actual system)
- Can access only one App in the pull-down in the top-right (and it can’t be a Standard app)
- Has a reduced permission set
So, it’s only useful for using Custom Objects. However, that’s fantastic for replacing all those silly databases that people keep in spreadsheets or (gasp!) Access databases.
In my case, I’m hoping to use it to create some HR-type databases applicable to the whole company. It’s not worth buying everyone a CRM license, nor necessarily a Platform license, since they might only access the system once every couple of months. With these free licenses, combined with some Portal licenses, I should have something cost-effective.
So, go out and get your free licenses today!
The Bottom Line
- 100 Free Force.com licenses are available for normal Salesforce accounts
- There are restrictions on the licenses, so they’re not a replacement for CRM licenses