This is a little off-topic, but I think that my audience of readers may actually know a lot about this topic!
My company is searching for a Business Intelligence (Reporting) system, and I’d love to get suggestions of systems to investigate!
Our requirements are:
- Web-based reporting tool
- Concurrent or ‘unlimited user’ licensing — one of the core values of our company is “Open Company, No Bullshit”, so we want to give reporting access to everyone. I don’t mind if there are tiers of users (eg only some can create reports), as long as I can give access to 200+ people.
- Give users (or at least a subset of users) the ability to play with crosstabs / Pivot Tables of data, so they can slice & dice the data themselves. They should be able to select rows, columns and filters so that they can do self-service reporting.
- Give users (or at least a subset of users) the ability to create their own private reports, and the ability to publish reports to the rest of the company. There should be some form of security in place so that people can’t overwrite ‘official’ reports (eg ones created by the IT department).
- Saas or runs under RedHat (no Microsoft technologies, please!)
- Users can access on the Mac (eg Firefox, Safari as browsers)
- No need for ETL capabilities — we’ve done all that!
- Our preferred database is PostgreSQL, but we could be flexible on that
The system will report on data in our corporate databases, so I’m not looking for any particular Salesforce functionality.
Saas solutions we know about:
Non-SaaS solutions we know about:
- Inetsoft Style Intelligence
- Dimensional Insight
- Informatica Data Explorer
- Panorama NovaView
- Prelytis LiveDashboard
- SQL Power Wabit
We also ruled out some vendors due to the need for a Microsoft platform:
So, do you know of a kick-arse web-based BI tool that empowers users to create their own reports?
If so, I’d love to hear from you either via firstname.lastname@example.org or as a comment on this blog. Thanks!
The Bottom Line
- I’m looking for a kick-arse web-based reporting tool
- We’ve looked at many and haven’t been perfectly satisfied
- Do you know of any others?